kevin schroeder, Katerina with Roaches, mezzotint, Small Wonders 2016, Juror’s Choice
Introducing Small Wonders:
MFA (Maryland Federation of Art) invites all artists residing in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico to enter its 14th annual Small Wonders competition. Any original 2-D work 11″ by 11″ or smaller and 3-D work 11″ by 11″ by 11″ or smaller is eligible for entry. Works selected will be on exhibit in the MFA Circle Gallery, 18 State Circle, Annapolis, Maryland from December 1-23, 2017.
Dr. Roger Dunn is Professor Emeritus, Department of Art and Art History at Bridgewater State University in Massachusetts where he taught art history, painting and drawing for thirty-four years. For twelve of those years, he served as the Department Chair. Prior to his professorship, he was Curator at the Brockton Art Museum (now Fuller Museum of Crafts) where he organized exhibitions of Boston area artists and historic collections and juried numerous exhibitions of painting, printmaking, sculpture, crafts and photography. Professor Dunn received his MFA in Painting from Pratt Institute and his doctorate in art history from Northwestern University.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below.
When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show at Circle Gallery are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 11 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
- All work must be visibly signed by artist (front or back) and include edition numbers (1/1, 2/50, e.g.) for hand-pulled prints. Works must be priced for sale or marked POR (price on request).
Cash awards total $1000. Award contributors and recipients will be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $35 (MFA members, $20) for one or two entries and $5 each for up to four additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 2 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
July 19 Online entry open for submissions
Sept. 26 Deadline for entries
Oct. 12 Notifications are sent by email. contact MFA if you do not receive notice.
Nov. 16-24 Shipped work and hand-delivered work must arrive at circle Gallery, 18 State circle, Annapolis MD, 21401
Dec. 1 11-5 p.m. First day of exhibition.
Dec. 7 3-5 p.m. Reception at Circle Gallery. Awards presented at 4:00 p.m.
Dec. 27-28 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Pick up hand-delivered work. No early pick up. There is a $10 fine for late pick up.
By Dec 29 Shipped work will be sent.
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: email@example.com. Contact gallery if you do not receive notice.