Glenda Blake, Spring Rites, colored pencil on painted hardboard
Introducing the Spring Member Show:
MFA (Maryland Federation of Art) invites all MFA members residing in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada, and Mexico to enter the 2018 Spring Member Show. Any original 2-D or 3-D work will be considered. Works selected will be on exhibit in the MFA Circle Gallery, 18 State Circle, Annapolis, Maryland from May 3 – 26, 2018.
John Shipman is Associate Director of Development the University of Delaware where he helps support University related arts programs and initiatives on campus and in the community. Before taking this position, he was the Executive Director at The Delaware Contemporary (formerly the Delaware Center for Contemporary Arts). Prior to locating in Delaware, he was Director of the Art Gallery at the University of Maryland, College Park for 9 years. John has an extensive background in arts education, having taught the fundamentals of art making and content to college and K-12 students, and has organized, curated, and designed hundreds of exhibitions during his tenures at the University of Maryland, the Corcoran College of Art and Design, and The Delaware Contemporary, as well as guest curating at institutions from Philadelphia, PA to Michigan. Mr. Shipman has worked on numerous solo exhibitions with emerging artists, and artists at the height of their careers, while also developing large multi-artist interdisciplinary exhibitions like Sweet: The Graphic Beauty of the Contemporary Rock Poster and What It Is, What It Was: Music Video as Art. He has a BFA in printmaking and drawing.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below.
When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show at Circle Gallery are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
- All work must be visibly signed by artist (front or back) and include edition numbers (1/1, 2/50, e.g.) for hand-pulled prints. Works must be priced for sale or marked POR (price on request).
Cash awards total $500. A $50 Conley Award for 3-D is funded and selected by Suzi and Rob Conley. Award contributors and recipients will be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $20 for one or two entries and $5 each for up to four additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 2 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
Feb. 28 On-line entry open for submissions
March 20 Deadline for entries
April 5 Notifications are sent by email. contact MFA if you do not receive notice.
April 25-29 Shipped work and hand-delivered work must arrive at circle Gallery, 18 State circle, Annapolis MD, 21401
May 3 11-5 p.m. First day of exhibition.
May 6 3-5 p.m. Reception at Circle Gallery. Awards presented at 4:00 p.m.
May 27-28 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Pick up hand-delivered work. No early pick up. There is a $10 fine for late pick up.
By May 29 Shipped work will be sent.
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: email@example.com. Contact gallery if you do not receive notice.