Elaine Longstemps, Trail of Tears_The Long Walk, hand-painted ropes, glass teardrop beads, other beads, feathers, digital printing on fabric, Fiber Options 2016 Jurors Choice
Introducing Fiber Options: Material Explorations:
MFA (Maryland Federation of Art) invites all artists residing in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico to enter its 5th biennial Fiber Options: Material Explorations competition. Any original 2-D or 3-D artwork created with fiber is eligible. Works selected will be on exhibit in the MFA Circle Gallery, 18 State Circle, Annapolis, Maryland from July 14-August 6, 2016. The exhibition chair is Kass McGowan.
Jeanne Medina is the 2017-18 Fountainhead Fellow in the Department of Craft and Material Studies at Virginia Commonwealth University. She received her BFA in Fiber and Material Studies and Post-Baccalaureate in Fashion, Body and Garment from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and her MFA in Fiber from Cranbrook Academy of Art where she was awarded the 2013 Toby Devan Lewis Award. Jeanne uses the process of weaving as a means of textile production and methodology for collaboration. She pursued research in Antwerp, Belgium on the Royal Academy of Art Fashion Department, the Betet Skara archive at ModeMuseum, and worked with fashion designer, Christian Wijnants. Her work is in the permanent collection at Cranbrook Art Museum and she has exhibited at the CAPC musée d’art contemporain in Bordeaux, France, the Babaran Segaragunung Culture House in Yogyakarta, Indonesia, and Form and Concept Gallery in Santa Fe, NM.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below.
When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show at Circle Gallery are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
- All work must be visibly signed by artist (front or back) and include edition numbers (1/1, 2/50, e.g.) for hand-pulled prints. Works must be priced for sale or marked POR (price on request).
Cash awards total $1000. Award contributors and recipients will be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $35 (MFA members, $20) for one or two entries and $5 each for up to four additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 2 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
March 1 On-line entry open for submissions
April 30 Deadline for entries
May 24 Notifications are sent by email. contact MFA if you do not receive notice.
June 13-17 Shipped work and hand-delivered work must arrive at circle Gallery, 18 State circle, Annapolis MD, 21401
June 21 11-5 p.m. First day of exhibition.
July 1 3-5 p.m. Reception at Circle Gallery. Awards presented at 4:00 p.m.
July 22-23 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Pick up hand-delivered work. No early pick up. There is a $10 fine for late pick up.
By July 24 Shipped work will be sent.
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact gallery if you do not receive notice.