Join Us for Paint Annapolis 2023
We’re welcoming artists of all abilities to compete for $2,500 in prizes while painting this charming nautical town. Join us for just one or all five days of painting and be eligible for the Paint Annapolis exhibition. With local and global recognition, Paint Annapolis is a growing artist’s chance to exhibit alongside the plein air pros. Read on to see the schedule and rules for this plein air festival.
- It is required that all artwork have a Paint Annapolis 2023 registration stamp visible and accessible to be exhibited. Stamping will occur at the Paint Annapolis Pop Up Gallery (4 Church Circle, Annapolis, MD 21401). All painting surfaces (panels, paper, canvases, etc.) must be blank before being stamped. Painting surfaces may be primed or gessoed in one color. Sketches and underpaintings will not be stamped.
- All artwork must be painted en plein air during the week of Paint Annapolis within the designated painting boundaries, without the use of photographs. Artists may paint while under shelter but may not be in a fully enclosed space.
- All artwork submitted for exhibition, awards, and/or sales must be framed, wired, and ready to hang. NO EXCEPTIONS. Artwork that is not ready for hanging will not be displayed. Artwork, including mat and frame, may not exceed 32 inches in any direction.
- All works submitted for exhibition must be painted en plein air during Paint Annapolis 2023 and within the areas designated. Artwork without a visible Paint Annapolis stamp will not be hung.
- Artists may submit two (2) pieces painted during the week and one (1) nocturne painted during the designated nocturne time for the Paint Annapolis Exhibition. The pieces hung in the Pop Up Gallery will be the ones juried for awards.
- Artwork to be submitted for exhibition must be dropped off at the Pop Up Gallery no later than Friday, June 9 at 12 PM (noon). No late work will be accepted.
- Artwork created during Paint Annapolis may be exhibited in the Paint Annapolis online gallery. Artists may upload their two (2) pieces and one (1) nocturne that they have submitted for exhibition in the Pop Up Gallery for the Paint Annapolis online gallery using a link MFA staff will send the week of the event. It is the artist’s responsibility to post their work by June 9 at 12 PM.
- Work submitted for exhibition and awards will hang in the Paint Annapolis Pop Up Gallery from June 9 – 21.
- Artists must pick up their unsold artwork from June 22 – 25 between 12 – 4 PM. Artists who have not collected their work by June 25 at 4 PM will be charged a $30 late fee. Work not picked up within 60 days becomes the property of MFA.
- Paintings submitted for exhibition must be available for sale.
- Artists receive 60% of the purchase price for any work sold throughout Paint Annapolis. MFA will retain 40% commission on all works sold.
- Only MFA personnel may complete a sale.
- By participating in Paint Annapolis, artists agree not to conduct sales or presales of their paintings outside the commission structure. Commission proceeds for all sales support current and future Paint Annapolis events and help MFA achieve our mission to create meaningful connections in the community through art.
- MFA will notify artists if their piece sells during the exhibition.
- All work will be handled with all possible care. However, pieces submitted for exhibition are at the artist’s risk. In the event of damage or theft, MFA will not be held liable. If insurance is desired, the artist must carry it.
- May 1 – Jun 4 Sign up is open for Public Painters. Click here to register to paint.
- Jun 4, 9 – 11 AM Dueling Brushes will take place at the Susan B. Campbell Park at City Dock. Stamping for Dueling Brushes ONLY will be at Circle Gallery from 8 – 8:45 AM. Painting will take place from 9 – 11 AM. Artists must be set up at City Dock by 11:15 AM with their completed and framed work on their own easel. Awards will be announced at 1 PM. Stamping for the rest of the week (including the nocturne) will be from 1:30 – 2 PM at City Dock. Bring your work from Dueling Brushes and get the rest of your canvases stamped from 2:30 – 4 PM at the Pop Up Gallery (4 Church Circle).
- Jun 5 – 8 Stamping will be every day at the Pop Up Gallery from 11 AM – 4 PM. Artists may paint in the designated areas any time on these days.
- Jun 6 Paint the Bay Reception will take place at the Annapolis Maritime Museum (723 Second Street, Annapolis) from 6 – 8 PM. Public Artists can come see some of the Juried Artists’ first works on display. This event is free and open to the public.
- Jun 7 Dinner Under the Stars will take place from 5 – 10 PM on Wednesday. Artists are encouraged to take advantage of the lively atmosphere during Dinner Under the Stars and paint their nocturne from dusk on Wednesday to dawn on Thursday within the designated Nocturne boundary map. Painters will need to have their canvases stamped with the special Nocturne stamp before painting.
- Jun 8 Art on the Avenue will see Maryland Avenue closed to traffic starting in the early afternoon and open to artists for painting, sales, and jurying. Times to be announced.
- Jun 9 Work drop off for the Public Painters will be at the Paint Annapolis Pop Up Gallery from 9 AM – 12 PM. No late work will be accepted. Work must be framed and wired for hanging. No exceptions. Artists may paint in the morning before turning their work in.
- Jun 10 Paint Annapolis Exhibition officially begins. The Pop Up Gallery will be open everyday from 11 AM – 5 PM. The Paint Annapolis Opening Reception is tonight from 5 – 7 PM at the Pop Up Gallery. Awards for the Public and Student Artists will be announced at 6 PM. This event is free and open to the public.
- Jun 21 Closing Reception from 5 – 7 PM at the Pop Up Gallery. This is your last chance to view the work by the Public and Student Artists. This event is free and open to the public.
- Jun 22 – 25, 12 – 4 PM Public and Student Artists pick up of unsold work.