Kenneth L. Bachman, Taking a Break, oil on Belgian linen board, Street Scenes 2017
Introducing Street Scenes
MFA (Maryland Federation of Art) invites all artists to enter its 4th Street Scenes competition. Any original 2-D or 3-D work that depicts what resonates with you in towns and cities, large and small, will be considered. Works selected will be displayed online in MFA’s Curve Gallery, from February 15 to March 31, 2019. The exhibition chair is Wil Scott.
Juror: Dr. Melanee Harvey, Howard University
Melanee C. Harvey is an assistant professor of art history in the Department of Art at Howard University. She earned a BA from Spelman College and went on to Boston University where she received her MA and Ph.D. in American Art and Architectural History. Her dissertation documented and interpreted the architectural and visual histories of Metropolitan AME Church in Washington DC and the Shrine of the Black Madonna in Detroit, Michigan within the ideological arc of black nationalism. She has published extensively on Black Arts Movement artists including Faith Ringgold, James Phillips and African Commune of Bad Relevant Artists (AfriCOBRA). Since the fall of 2018, she has served as a Curatorial Advisory Committee Member for Alma Thomas: A Creative Life, co-organized by The Columbus Museum and The Chrysler Museum of Art. She is currently working on her book project, which will explore the architectural history of the African Methodist Episcopal denomination and recover the architectural and aesthetic discourse among this community of African Americans throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries
*Award contributors and recipients will also be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Information for Accepted Artists
Nov. 17 Online entry opens for submissions.
Jan. 15 Deadline for entries
Jan. 29 All entrants notified by email. Check MFA website or contact MFA if you do not receive notice.
Feb. 15 First day of exhibition
March. 31 Last day of exhibition
MFA Online Exhibitions are for exhibition only. MFA will refer all sales inquiries to the artist. MFA receives no commission for sales resulting from these exhibitions.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below. When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show at Circle Gallery are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
- All work must be visibly signed by artist (front or back) and include edition numbers (1/1, 2/50, e.g.) for hand-pulled prints. Works must be priced for sale or marked POR (price on request).
Cash awards total $1000. Award contributors and recipients will be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $35 (MFA members, $20) for one or two entries and $5 each for up to four additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 2 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
Nov. 27 Online entry opens for submissions.
Jan. 24 Deadline for entries
By Feb. 14 All entrants notified by email. Check MFA website or contact MFA if you do not receive notice.
March 20 – 24 Shipped work must arrive at Circle Gallery, 18 State Circle, Annapolis MD 21401
March 28 First day of exhibition
April 7 3-5 p.m. Reception. Awards presented at 4:00 p.m.
April 27 Last day of exhibition
April 29 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Pick up artwork (no early pick up for any reason) There is a $10 fee for any late pick up
April 30 Shipped work will be sent.
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: email@example.com. Contact gallery if you do not receive notice.