Ramen Pigeon, mixed media, by JJ Galloway from Small Wonders 2019
Introducing Small Wonders:
MFA (Maryland Federation of Art) invites all artists residing in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico to enter its 14th annual Small Wonders competition. Any original 2-D work 11″ by 11″ or smaller and 3-D work 11″ by 11″ by 11″ or smaller is eligible for entry. Works selected will be on exhibit in MFA’s Circle Gallery at 18 State Circle, Annapolis, Maryland from December 1-23, 2018. Chair; Nichole Leavy.
Juror: Linda Crocker Simmons
Cash awards total $1,000. Coming soon
*Award contributors and recipients will also be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Information for Accepted Artists
Sept. 25 Deadline for entries.
Oct. 11 All entrants notified by email. Check MFA website or contact MFA if you do not receive notice.
Nov. 23-28 Shipped work must arrive at MFA’s Circle Gallery, 18 State Circle, Annapolis MD 21401. Work can be dropped off as early as the 23rd. Please read the information in the Prospectus on how to ship your piece.
Dec. 4 First day of exhibition.
Dec. 6 Reception, 6-8 p.m. Awards presented at 7:00 p.m.
Dec. 29 Last day of exhibition.
Dec. 30-31 Pick up artwork, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. (no early pick up for any reason) There is a $10 fee for any late pick up.
By Jan. 2 Shipped work will be sent.
- All work delivered to the gallery must have the following information affixed to the non-viewing side of artwork:
- Artist Name
- Address, phone number and email
- Title of the work, medium and price. Be specific with medium descriptions (e.g., oil on hardboard or canvas, not oil; chromogenic print or archival ink jet print, not photography or digital print; oil pastel on paper, not pastel; etc.)
- Work must arrive on scheduled dates.
- Paintings must be dry.
- Measure to ensure work meets size limitations before delivery, include outer edges of frames. Work not in compliance will not be exhibited. No exceptions.
- All shipped work must include a bar-coded shipping label. Do not send by United States Postal Service (USPS). We prefer UPS but accept FedEx. No shipping peanuts allowed.
- Please affix packing/repacking instructions to OUTSIDE of shipping box.
- Tips on shipping can be viewed on the RedDotBlog
Pickup and Storage
- When the exhibit ends, unless specified otherwise, you may pick up your work no earlier than 3:00 pm on the closing day of the exhibit.
- You must pick up your work within 48 hours of the closing day of the exhibit, or notify the gallery if you will be late.
- Unless previous arrangements have been made, work placed in storage after announced pickup dates will be subject to a fine of $10.00 per piece, per week. Work left in storage longer than two (2) weeks shall become MFA property and may be disposed of, or used for fundraising purposes. There are no exceptions.
All work will be handled with all possible care, but pieces submitted for exhibition are at the artist’s risk. In the event of damage or theft, the MFA will not be held liable. If insurance is desired, the artist must carry it.
- All work entered into any exhibition must be for sale unless prior agreements are made, and marked either with a price or POR for Price On Request.
- The MFA will retain 30% from all sales
- Sale of artwork is taxable and all sales tax processing will be handled by the MFA.
- Sold artwork requiring shipment will be handled by the MFA with costs collected from buyer. Buyers will be asked if the work may be retained until the exhibit ends. If the buyer disagrees, the Gallery will let the work go, and the artist will be informed.
- The MFA asks that artists donate 20% from any sale made through a direct referral from the MFA within three months. All donations are used to help defray operating costs of the Maryland Federation of Art and are tax-deductible by the artists to the full extent of the law.