Plein air is painting outside – rather than in a studio. The term comes from the French ‘en plein air’, meaning ‘in the open air’. Popularized by Impressionists who were particularly interested in the influence of changing light and the effects of light on color when outdoors, plein air painting is now flourishing as its own art form.
Paint Annapolis is a week long juried plein air painting competition that brings plein air painters from around the world to our historic city. For 20 years it has been a premier event, bringing people together to share in the spirit and vibrancy of outdoor painting.
The event is designed to explore in paint the colonial architecture, marine atmosphere, and overall energy of Maryland’s capital city – and the first capital of the United States – home to families, businesses, colleges, and maritime activities.
Awards for artists participating in Paint Annapolis total $15,000!
Entry Deadline is January 10, 2020
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below.
When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- A maximum of 3 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered to represent an artist’s body of work.
- Entry fees are $45 and are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 2 MB.
- Images of works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, website or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
Nov. 6, 2019 Online entry open for submissions
Jan 10, 2020 Deadline for entries
Feb. 15, 2020 Notification sent by email. Contact MFA if you do not receive notice.
June 7, 2020 Artists check-in
June 7 – 14, 2020 Paint Annapolis Competition
- June 7 Quick Draw timed painting competition
- June 9 Paint the Bay, reception at Maritime Museum from 6pm – 7pm
- June 10 Nocturne night painting event during Annapolis’ Dinner Under the Stars
- June 11 Art on the Avenue, Maryland Ave. block party from 5pm – 7pm
- June 12 Preview Party & Awards at Circle Gallery
- June 13 – 14 Public Receptions
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: email@example.com. Contact gallery if you do not receive notice.