Untitled, Earthenware, by Lars Westby, from Off the Wall ’17.
Introducing Off the Wall:
MFA (Maryland Federation of Art) invites all artists to enter its 3-D free-standing Off the Wall exhibition open to artists residing in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico. All eligible fine art entries in any media will be considered by the juror. Selected works will display in this MFA organized exhibition at Waverly Street Gallery in Bethesda, Maryland from July 10th to August 3rd, 2019. Exhibition Chair: Sarah Salamon
Juror: Foon Sham, University of Maryland, College Park
Foon Sham received a BFA from the California College of Arts and Crafts, and an MFA from Virginia Commonwealth University. He is a professor of Art at the University of Maryland, College Park. He has had 40 solo exhibitions in the Washington Metropolitan region and in New York, Ohio, Delaware, New Mexico, Canada, Norway, Mexico, Australia and most recently in France. His work has been included in group exhibitions at Corcoran Gallery of Art, the Art Museum of the Americas in Washington DC and Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. His public art collections include the Nayatad Sculpture Park in Hungary, United World College in Norway, Universidad De Palermo in Argentina, the MacQuarie University in Sydney, Australia, the Museum of Contemporary Arts of Yucatan, Merida, Mexico, the Gallery Place-Chinatown Metrorail Station, the Convention Center in Washington DC, and the Hong Kong Museum of Art. Recent commissions include the US Embassy in Suriname, Golden Triangle in Washington DC and REI in Rockville, MD. He has received many awards including a Residency Grant from the National Endowment of the Arts, the Nordic Artists’ Centre in Dale, Norway, the Franconia Sculpture Park Professional Fellowship, the Virginia Commission of the Arts Individual Artist Fellowship, the Creative and Performing Arts Awards from the University of Maryland, the Franz and Virginia Bader Fund from Washington DC, Strauss Fellowship and Cultural Diversity Grant from Fairfax County, Virginia.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below. When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show on Curve Gallery are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
Cash awards total $1,000. Award contributors and recipients will be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $40 (MFA members, $25) for one or two entries and $5 each for additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 2 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
March 12 Online entry open for submissions.
May 9 Deadline for entries.
June 6 All entrants notified by email. Check MFA website or contact MFA if you do not receive notice.
July 3-6 Shipped work must arrive at MFA’s Circle Gallery, 18 State Circle, Annapolis MD 21401. Please read the information in the Prospectus on how to ship your piece.
July 6 Noon-6pm. Hand delivered work must arrive at Waverly Street Gallery (4600 East-West Highway #102, Bethesda, MD 20814). Check notification letter to confirm any delivery charges. NOTE: Hand delivered work transported from Circle to Waverly Street Gallery is $20.
July 10 Noon-6pm. Exhibition opens at Waverly St. Gallery.
July 12 6-9pm. Reception at Waverly Street Gallery. Awards presented at 7 pm.
July 20 Last day of exhibition.
Aug. 3 5-6pm. Pick up hand delivered work both days at Waverly St.Gallery. There is no on-site storage.
Aug. 4 10-2pm Pick up hand delivered work: A $40 per day fine is imposed for late pick-up and work transported to Annapolis.
Aug. 6-7 10-2pm. Circle Gallery: Final pick up of hand-delivered work. Check notification letter to confirm any changes about pick up.
Aug 8 Shipped work will be sent.
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact gallery if you do not receive notice.