Annapolis Harbor, October Morning, archival digital photograph, Lee Goodwin
Considering entering the exhibition?
Deadline extended to March 20th.Online Entry System
Introducing Navigation, MHCA & MFA:
Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts invites all artists residing in the United States to enter Navigation: Presented in Partnership with Maryland Federation of Art, an exhibition coinciding with Annapolis’ city-wide spring Maritime celebration. Original 2-D or 3-D work created within the last 3 years will be considered. Maritime or Chesapeake Bay-themed works selected will be on exhibit in the Chaney Gallery at Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts, 801 Chase St., Annapolis, Maryland. The curator is Exhibitions Coordinator Emily Kohlenstein.
Juror: Jim Cheevers, U.S. Naval Academy Museum
Jim Cheevers oversaw art exhibitions at the U.S. Naval Academy Museum from 1968 to 2017. He was the organizer for a Frederick J. Waugh exhibition of seascapes, curated Dutch marine prints from the Rijksmuseum which included commercial ships and harbor scenes, and a show of prints by John Sloan of the “ash can” school. Cheevers has served as a juror for Maryland Federation of Art, the Annapolis Maritime Museum, and for the Midshipmen Art Club. He has served as a guest curator for exhibitions at the Mitchell Gallery, St. John’s College, and at Christie’s auction house, Park Avenue, New York. Jim Cheevers is a well-known Annapolitan who has a passion both for the arts and this port city.
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: email@example.com. Contact gallery if you do not receive notice.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MHCA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below.
When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 3 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show at Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
Cash awards total $1,000. Award contributors and recipients will be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $40 (MFA members, $25) for one or two entries and $5 each for additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 2 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA and MHCA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
Feb. 16 Online entry open for submissions
March 15 Deadline for entries
March 25 All entrants notified by email. Check MHCA website or contact MHCA if you do not receive notice.
April 29-30 Shipped work must arrive at Maryland Hall, 801 Chase St., Annapolis MD 21401. Work can be dropped off as early as the 26th. Work cannot be accepted during the weekend.
May 2 First day of exhibition.
May 9 Reception, 5:30 – 7 p.m. Awards presented at 6:00 p.m.
June 22 Last day of exhibition
June 24-25 Pick up artwork, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. (no early pick up for any reason) There is a $10 fee for any late pick up
June 25 Shipped work will be sent.