Will A. Ursprung, Anomaly, Eye of the Beholder 2017
Introducing Eye of the Beholder:
MFA (Maryland Federation of Art) invites artists residing in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico to enter its 6th biennial found objects competition. The Eye of the Beholder is held to showcase the works of fine art constructed of one or more found objects. Any 2 or 3-D work following exhibition guidelines will be considered. The selected works will be exhibited at MFA’s Circle Gallery from June 20 to July 20, 2019. Exhibition chair is Angela Petruncio.
Juror: Katie Dell Kaufman, Corcoran College of Art and Design
Katie Dell Kaufman’s assemblage combines globally-sourced domestic objects, tools, and wax. Her work has been included in exhibits, nationally, at the Corcoran Museum of Art, WDC, the Encaustic Museum of Art, Santa Fe, NM, the Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn, NY, and, internationally, in at Shirehall, Shrewsbury, London, UK, the Vilna Gaon Jewish State Museum, Vilnius, LT, and, in South Africa, at the Cape Town Holocaust Museum. Kaufman is the recipient of multiple Montgomery County Arts and Humanities grants. Her assemblage is in the private collection of the nonprofit, Living Imprint, in London, England, as well as in the permanent collections of the Prince Georges County Arts and Cultural Heritage Division, Greenbelt MD, Landex Development, Linthicum, MD, and the Encaustic Museum of Art, Santa Fe, NM. Kaufman received her BA from Bard College and her MA from University of MD, College Park. She taught at the Corcoran College of Art and Design for 22 years. Kaufman now maintains a studio at the Gateway Art Center in Brentwood, MD and teaches workshops in the DC metro area.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below. When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show at Circle Gallery are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
Cash awards total $1,000. Award contributors and recipients will be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $40 (MFA members, $25) for one or two entries and $5 each for additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 2 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
Feb. 28 Online entry open for submissions
Apr. 30 Deadline for entries
May 24 All entrants notified by email. Check MFA website or contact MFA if you do not receive notice.
June 12-16 Shipped work must arrive at MFA’s Circle Gallery, 18 State Circle, Annapolis MD 21401. Work can be dropped off as early as the 26th. Please read the information in the Prospectus on how to ship your piece.
June 20 First day of exhibition.
June 23 Reception, 3-5 p.m. Awards presented at 4:00 p.m.
July 20 Last day of exhibition
July 21-23 Pick up artwork, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. (no early pick up for any reason) There is a $10 fee for any late pick up.
By July 23 Shipped work will be sent.
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: email@example.com. Contact gallery if you do not receive notice.