Paul Adams, Duck Rock, Grand Canyon, Tintype, from American Landscapes 2018
Introducing American Landscapes:
MFA (Maryland Federation of Art) invites all artists residing in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada, and Mexico to enter its 19th annual American Landscapes competition. Following entry guidelines, any original 2-D or 3-D work depicting a landscape from one of the Americas* will be considered (*North America, Hawaii, Central America, Caribbean & South America). The selected works will be on exhibit at MFA’s Circle Gallery from August 22 through September 21, 2019. Exhibition Chair: Mike McSorley
Juror: Jack Rasmussen, Director of the American University Museum at the Katzen Arts Center
Jack Rasmussen earned his MFA in Painting, MA in Arts Management, and his MA and PhD in Anthropology at American University. He worked at the National Gallery of Art before becoming the assistant director of the Washington Project for the Arts when it opened in 1975. He opened the Jack Rasmussen Gallery, one of the first commercial galleries to move to downtown Washington, and then helped launch Rockville Arts Place (now VisArts). He served for ten years as the executive director of Maryland Art Place in Baltimore and three years as executive director of di Rosa, a contemporary art museum and sculpture garden in Napa, California. Rasmussen has been director and curator of the American University Museum at the Katzen Arts Center since it opened in 2005. He also currently serves as chair of the Maryland State Arts Council.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below. When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show at Circle Gallery are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
Cash awards total $1,000. Award contributors and recipients will be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $40 (MFA members, $25) for one or two entries and $5 each for additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 2 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
Apr. 11 Online entry open for submissions.
June 13 Deadline for entries.
July 9 All entrants notified by email. Check MFA website or contact MFA if you do not receive notice.
August 14-18 Shipped work must arrive at MFA’s Circle Gallery, 18 State Circle, Annapolis MD 21401. Work can be dropped off as early as the 14th. Please read the information in the Prospectus on how to ship your piece.
Aug. 22 First day of exhibition.
Sept. 8 Reception, 3-5 p.m. Awards presented at 4:00 p.m.
Sept. 21 Last day of exhibition.
Sept. 22-24 Pick up artwork, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. (no early pick up for any reason) There is a $10 fee for any late pickup.
By Sept. 24 Shipped work will be sent.
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: email@example.com. Contact gallery if you do not receive notice.