Stephen Thomas Hanks, Red Axe Clearing, American Landscapes 2017
Introducing American Landscapes: Scenes from the Americas
MFA (Maryland Federation of Art) invites all artists residing in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico to enter its 18th annual American Landscapes competition. Following entry guidelines, any original 2-D or 3-D work depicting a landscape from one of the Americas* will be considered (*North America, Hawaii, Central America, Caribbean & South America). The selected works will be on exhibit at MFA’s Circle Gallery from August 23 through September 22, 2018. Exhibition Chair: Mike McSorley
Joann Moser, Senior Curator Emerita, of Smithsonian American Art Museum was the Museum’s Senior Curator of Graphic Arts from 1986- 2016. She has organized numerous exhibitions for the Smithsonian including The Artistic Journey of Yasuo Kuniyoshi, Singular Impressions: The Monotype in America, What’s It all Mean: William T. Wiley in Retrospect, and Pop Art Prints. She has published on Atelier 17, Jean Metzinger, Joseph Stella, and Nathan Oliveira. Her work includes collaboration on a show of paintings and drawings by Romaine Brooks and an exhibition of sculpture and works on paper by Martin Puryear from the Art Institute of Chicago. She is currently working on a catalogue raisonne of the prints of Sean Scully. She received her PhD in Art History from University of Wisconsin, Madison and a BA in art history from Smith College. In 1975 she received a Kress Fellowship from the National Gallery of Art.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below.
When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show at Circle Gallery are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
- All work must be visibly signed by artist (front or back) and include edition numbers (1/1, 2/50, e.g.) for hand-pulled prints. Works must be priced for sale or marked POR (price on request).
Cash awards total $1000. Award contributors and recipients will be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $40 (MFA members, $25) for one or two entries and $5 each for up to four additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 2 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
April 12 Online entry open for submissions
June 14 Deadline for entries
By July 9 All entrants are notified by email and online posting
Aug. 15-19 Shipped and hand-delivered work must arrive at Circle Gallery, 18 State Circle, Annapolis, MD 21401
Aug. 23 First day of exhibition
Sept. 9 3-5pm reception. Awards presented at 4pm.
Sept. 23-24 12-4pm pick up
By Sept. 25 Shipped work will be sent
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact gallery if you do not receive notice.