Michael James Walton, Square Embossing Number 1 – Side A, Formed Paper Pulp
Introducing Art on Paper:
MFA (Maryland Federation of Art) invites all artists residing in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico to enter its 42nd annual Art on Paper competition. Any original 2-D or 3-D work (excluding digital photography) created on or of paper, including collage, artist book, origami, printmaking, painting, sculpture, and more, will be considered. Works selected will be on exhibit in the MFA Circle Gallery, 18 State Circle, Annapolis, Maryland. The exhibition chair is Candice Bigelow.
Juror: Gregory Jecmen, National Gallery of Art
Gregory Jecmen, recently retired after a 34–year career. was the associate curator of Old Master Prints and Drawings and print room supervisor at the National Gallery of Art, Washington. Jecmen graduated with a BA in art history from Manhattanville College and an MA in art history from the University of Chicago, with PhD work done at the University of Maryland. After internships at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, the Cleveland Museum of Art, and the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, Jecmen was hired as a curatorial assistant for the print and drawing department at the NGA. Jecmen co-curated the National Gallery of Art exhibitions Old Master Prints and their Sources (1995) and M.C. Escher: A Centennial Tribute (1997). He also curated the NGA exhibition The Prints of Félix Buhot: Impressions of City and Sea (2005). Jecmen is a member of the Print Council of America and is on the editorial board of the Washington Print Club Quarterly.
Cash awards total $1,000.
*Award contributors and recipients will also be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below. When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show at Circle Gallery are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
- All work must be visibly signed by artist (front or back) and include edition numbers (1/1, 2/50, e.g.) for hand-pulled prints. Works must be priced for sale or marked POR (price on request).
Cash awards total $1000. Award contributors and recipients will be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $40 (MFA members, $25) for one or two entries and $5 each for up to four additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 2 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
Nov. 27 Online entry opens for submissions.
Jan. 24 Deadline for entries
By Feb. 14 All entrants notified by email. Check MFA website or contact MFA if you do not receive notice.
March 20 – 24 Shipped work must arrive at Circle Gallery, 18 State Circle, Annapolis MD 21401
March 28 First day of exhibition
April 7 3-5 p.m. Reception. Awards presented at 4:00 p.m.
April 27 Last day of exhibition
April 29 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Pick up artwork (no early pick up for any reason) There is a $10 fee for any late pick up
April 30 Shipped work will be sent.
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: email@example.com. Contact gallery if you do not receive notice.