One Pixel 002, digital media, Jay Matthew Hendrick, from Cool + 2 2013
Introducing 40 Under 40: Young Artist National Showcase:
MFA and MD Hall invite all artists (ages 40 and under) residing in the United States to enter any 2-D or 3-D work to be considered by juror Jose Ruiz. The selected works will be exhibited in Chaney Gallery at Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts from January 4th to February 29th, 2020.
Juror: Jose Ruiz
Director of the Curatorial Practice MFA program, Ruiz received an MFA in new genres from the San Francisco Art Institute and a BA in painting and Latin American studies from the University of Maryland. His projects have been exhibited in New York, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Washington, DC, and internationally in countries including Egypt, Ireland, Mexico, Japan, Slovakia, Germany, Hungary, South Africa, South Korea, and the Netherlands. Ruiz has recently curated exhibitions for the Queens Museum, Bronx Museum of the Arts, El Museo de Arte de El Salvador and the Incheon Biennial. His practice has been the subject of various publications, including The New York Times, The New Yorker, The Wall Street Journal, ARTnews, Arte Al Día, Artnet, and The Washington Post. Ruiz is the founder of FURTHERMORE, a post-studio research, design and production company in DC and New York. He is also the co-founder, co-director, and co-curator of Present Company-a Brooklyn-based gallery and curatorial collective.
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact gallery if you do not receive notice.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below.
When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 4 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show at Circle Gallery are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
Cash awards total $500. Award contributors and recipients will be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $40 (MFA members, $25) for one or two entries and $5 each for additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 2 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
Sept. 6 2019 Online entry open for submissions.
Oct. 20 Deadline for entries.
Nov. 15 All entrants notified by email. Check MFA website or contact MFA if you do not receive notice.
Dec 12-16, Jan 2-3 Shipped work must arrive at Maryland Hall, 801 Chase Street, Annapolis MD 21401. Please read the information in the Prospectus on how to ship your piece.
Noon – 4pm Hand Delivery must arrive at MD Hall, 801 Chase St., Annapolis, MD 21401. Please Note Maryland Hall will be CLOSED From December 21 through January 1 and CANNOT accept shipments or drop-offs during that time.
Jan 4. First day of exhibition.
Jan. 16 Reception, 5:30-7 p.m. Reception at Maryland Hall. Awards presented at 6pm.
Feb. 29 Last day of exhibition.
Mar. 2-3 Pick up noon-4pm. A $10 fine will be imposed for work not picked up.
March 4. Shipped work will be sent.