Introducing Elemental: Earth, Fire, Water, Air
Show us what resonates with you in towns and cities, large and small; the people, shops, traffic – anything at all that evokes a distinctive sense of place. Streets, lanes, and country roads tell the stories of communities and what we see there defines a place in our memories. Entry is open to all artists residing internationally. All original 2D or 3D artwork in any media is eligible for this online show. Works selected by the juror will be on display in Maryland Federation of Art’s online gallery, Curve Gallery, from February 15 – March 31, 2024. Exhibition Chairs: Richard Niewerth, Wil Scott.
Juror: Dr. J. Susan Isaacs, Professor of Art History at Towson University
Dr. J. Susan Isaacs, is Professor of Art History at Towson University, where she teaches advanced undergraduate and graduate level courses in modern and contemporary art history and theory and is curator for the Holtzman and Center for the Arts Galleries. She was also the Adjunct Curator and Curator of Special Projects for the Delaware Contemporary (formerly the Delaware Center for the Contemporary Arts) from 2001—2016. She has organized shows for other contemporary art spaces and museums as well, including the galleries at the Gershman Y in Philadelphia. She publishes on contemporary art and artists, and is a contributor to Artblog, Philadelphia.
Terms of Entry
- Entry is open to all artists internationally. Please refer to the complete U.S. Foreign Policy Compliance Statement on our website.
- Entering this exhibition indicates understanding and agreement on the part of the artist with the conditions stated herein and with (a) MFA’s approved Statement of Equity and Diversity and (b) MFA’s General Guidelines. MFA may determine work ineligible if entry guidelines are not followed.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including, but not limited to: the invitation, catalog, website, social media, or a subsequent year’s prospectus. Images will include attribution wherever possible.
- Work cannot be withdrawn before the end of the event.
- MFA shall not be liable for any special or consequential damages that result from the use of, or inability to use MFA’s online exhibition gallery.
- Cash awards total $500.
- All work must be entered by uploading JPEG images through MFA’s online entry system. Set pixel dimension between 1,500 and 3,000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 5 MB.
- MFA does not display watermarks; artists display at their own risk.
- For video submissions: upload a still frame from your video and put a public YouTube or Vimeo link to the video in the “media” section.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- 1 or 2 entries $35 (MFA Members $20). Additional 4 entries $5 each. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- All entries must be original and completed solely by the artist’s hand. A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered. If artwork is part of a limited edition, please state total number in the edition.
- Work previously exhibited at MFA Curve Gallery is not eligible for re-entry.
- There is no size limit for online exhibitions.
- MFA’s Online Sales Gallery is provided to North American artists to sell their work. Only artists in the 48 contiguous United States may set a price. MFA will reimburse up to $35 in shipping costs to those artists for online sales shipments if a receipt is provided. All other artists must enter Price on Request (POR) and purchase inquiries will be referred by MFA to the artist.
- Artists will retain 80% from sales (85% for MFA Members). MFA will retain 20% commission (15% for MFA Members) on any work sold through MFA. Artists will be responsible for fulfillment of sales.
- Work must be for sale. Work may be set to Price on Request (POR).
- Sept 27 Online Entry Open for Submissions
- Nov 15 Entry Deadline
- Jan 9 Notification @ 5 PM
- Feb 15 Exhibition Opens Online
- Mar 4 Awards Announced @ 5 PM
- Mar 31 Last Day of Online Exhibition
All artists will receive notification by email. Artists who have unsubscribed from MFA’s emails will not receive notification. Accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website.
The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and may vary from the prospectus.
Please set your email account to recognize email@example.com.