If you do not have an account with MFA, you will be asked to create one during the entry process. Already have an account, but need to update your information? Update Now!
Introducing the Spring Member Show
Maryland Federation of Art (MFA) invites all MFA Members residing in any of the states or territories of the US, Canada, and Mexico to enter our Spring Member Show 2023. Any original 2D or 3D work will be considered. Works selected by the juror will be exhibited in MFA’s Circle Gallery from May 3 – 27, 2023.
Juror: David Carter, Associate Professor of Art at Montgomery College
In 1991, David Carter began teaching for The Art League School of Alexandria and was an adjunct professor of art at Montgomery College (MC) in Germantown, MD. In 2001, he became a full-time professor of Art at MC, where he also served as department chair from 2008-2014, and continues as Associate Professor. At MC, Carter typically teaches courses in drawing, design, color theory, painting, and art history, and also continues to teach a variety of courses for The Art League. His work, primarily oil painting and drawing, has been exhibited in solo and group shows on the east coast and across the country. He has completed numerous public and private mural commissions in different parts of the US and worked intermittently as an illustrator, photographer, and graphic designer. Carter received his BFA from James Madison University in 1981 and his MFA from American University in 1988. His work can be viewed at dbcarterart.com.
Terms of Entry
- Entry is open to artists residing in the any of the states or territories of the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
- Entering this exhibition indicates understanding and agreement on the part of the artist with the conditions stated herein and with (a) MFA’s approved Statement of Equity and Diversity and (b) MFA’s General Guidelines. Work must meet exhibition guidelines to be included in the event. MFA may determine work ineligible if entry guidelines are not followed. Work delivered must correspond with the image(s) submitted to the juror.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including, but not limited to: the invitation, catalog, website, social media, or a subsequent year’s prospectus. Images will include attribution wherever possible.
- Work cannot be withdrawn before the end of the event.
- Artwork will be handled with all possible care. MFA will not be responsible or liable for loss or damage from any cause whatsoever. Insurance, if desired, must be carried by the artist.
- Cash awards presented by the juror total $500. A $100 Conley Award for 3D is funded and selected by Susi and Rob Conley.
- All work must be entered by uploading JPEG images through MFA’s online entry system. Set pixel dimension to between 1,500 and 3,000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 5 MB.
- For video submissions: upload a still frame from your video, and in the “media” section, put the media and then include a public YouTube or Vimeo link to the video. For accepted video submissions, the artist will be expected to deliver the file to MFA on a thumbdrive.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
1 or 2 entries $25 for MFA Members ($95 for non members, includes one year of MFA Membership). Additional 4 entries $5 each. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Images for the juror must correspond with the actual work.
- All entries must be original and completed solely by the artist’s hand. A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Work previously exhibited at MFA Circle Gallery is not eligible for re-entry.
- Maximum size of work, including edges of artwork or frame, cannot exceed 72″ in any direction. Artists may be asked to assist with the installation of oversized work (greater than 60″ or over 40 lbs.).
- Artists will retain 75% from sales. MFA will retain 25% commission on any work sold through MFA.
- Work must be for sale. Work may be set to Price on Request (POR).
- Feb 1 Online Entry Opens for Submissions
- Mar 1 Entry Deadline
- Mar 28 Notification @ 5 PM
- Apr 26 – 30 Accepted and Shipped Work Must Arrive at MFA Circle Gallery from 11 AM – 4 PM
- May 3 Exhibition Opens
- May 7 Virtual Awards Ceremony from 4 – 5 PM via Zoom
- May 27 Last Day of the Exhibition; Closing Reception at MFA Circle Gallery from 4 – 6 PM
- May 28 – 29 Pick-up Hand-Delivered Work from 11 AM – 4 PM
- May 31 Shipped Work Will Be Sent
NOTE: Should the exhibition space be closed for reasons beyond our control, MFA reserves the right to move a planned physical exhibit to our online gallery.
All artists will receive notification by email. Accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Artists who have unsubscribed from MFA’s emails will not receive notification.
The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and may vary from the prospectus.
Please set your email account to recognize firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.