Introducing Black Art Matters
Black art is American art. Black issues are American issues. The Black Lives Matter protests have resulted in powerful artwork derived from passion, grief, persistence, and the pursuit of justice. But it’s not just about the protests; Black artists have always made art reflecting the many facets of their lives: their joy and sorrow, their community and culture, and more. Maryland Federation of Art (MFA) invites Black artists to enter their original 2D and 3D artwork in any media to our online People’s Choice Exhibition. All works submitted will be on display in MFA’s online People’s Choice Voting Gallery from February 1 – 28, 2023. Three People’s Choice Awards will be announced February 24.
Terms of Entry
- Entry is open to all artists internationally. Please refer to the complete U.S. Foreign Policy Compliance Statement on our website.
- Entering this exhibition indicates understanding and agreement on the part of the artist with the conditions stated herein and with (a) MFA’s approved Statement of Equity and Diversity and (b) MFA’s General Guidelines. Work must meet exhibition guidelines to be included in this event. MFA may determine work ineligible if entry guidelines are not followed.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including, but not limited to: the invitation, catalog, website, social media, or a subsequent year’s prospectus. Images will include attribution wherever possible.
- Work cannot be withdrawn before the end of the event.
- MFA shall not be liable for any special or consequential damages that result from the use of, or inability to use MFA’s online exhibition gallery.
- The three artists with the highest number of votes in the People’s Choice Gallery will each receive a $70 one-year MFA Membership.
- All work must be entered by uploading JPEG images through MFA’s online entry system. Set pixel dimension between 1,500 and 3,000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 5 MB.
- MFA does not display watermarks; artists display at their own risk.
- For video submissions: upload a still frame from your video and put a public YouTube or Vimeo link to the video in the “media” section after entering the media.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- 1 or 2 entries $20. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- All entries must be original and completed solely by the artist’s hand. A maximum of 2 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered. If artwork is part of a limited edition, please state total number in the edition.
- Work previously exhibited in MFA’s People’s Choice Voting Gallery is not eligible for re-entry.
- There is no size limit for online exhibitions.
- MFA’s Online Sales Gallery is provided to North American artists to sell their work. Only artists in the 48 contiguous United States may set a price. MFA will reimburse up to $40 in shipping costs to those artists for online sales shipments if a receipt is provided. All other artists must enter Price on Request (POR) and purchase inquiries will be referred by MFA to the artist.
- Artists will retain 80% from sales (85% for MFA Members). MFA will retain 20% commission (15% for MFA Members) on any work sold through MFA. Artists will be responsible for fulfillment of sales.
- Work must be for sale. Work may be set to Price on Request (POR).
- Jan 3 Online Entry Opens for Submissions
- Jan 25 Entry Deadline
- Feb 1 Online Exhibition Opens; People’s Choice Voting Opens
- Feb 23 People’s Choice Voting Closes at Midnight
- Feb 24 Awards announced
- Feb 28 Last day of the exhibition
Artists who have unsubscribed from MFA’s emails will not receive information about this exhibition.
Emails to artists will include specific details and may vary from the prospectus.
Please set your email account to recognize firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.