Introducing Art on Paper
Paper has served many purposes since it was first invented two thousand years ago. Humans have used paper for everything from recording history, as money, and to produce art. Maryland Federation of Art (MFA) invites artists residing in any of the states or territories of the US, Canada, and Mexico working on or with paper to enter our 46th annual Art on Paper exhibition. All original 2D or 3D work created on or of paper (excluding digital photography and Yupo paper) is eligible for this exhibition. Works selected by the juror will be exhibited in MFA’s Circle Gallery from March 29 – April 29, 2023.
Juror: Joann Moser, Senior Curator Emerita at the Smithsonian American Art Museum
Joann Moser, Senior Curator Emerita of the Smithsonian American Art Museum, was the Museum’s Senior Curator of Graphic Arts from 1986 – 2016. She has organized numerous exhibitions for the Smithsonian including The Artistic Journey of Yasuo Kuniyoshi, Singular Impressions: The Monotype in America, What’s It All Mean: William T. Wiley in Retrospect, and Pop Art Prints. She has published on Atelier 17, Jean Metzinger, Joseph Stella, and Nathan Oliveira. Her work includes collaboration on a show of paintings and drawings by Romaine Brooks and an exhibition of sculpture and works on paper by Martin Puryear from the Art Institute of Chicago. She is currently working on a catalogue raisonne of the prints of Sean Scully. She received her PhD in Art History from University of Wisconsin, Madison and a BA in Art History from Smith College. In 1975, she received a Kress Fellowship from the National Gallery of Art.
Terms of Entry
- Entry is open to artists residing in the any of the states or territories of the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
- Entering this exhibition indicates understanding and agreement on the part of the artist with the conditions stated herein and with (a) MFA’s approved Statement of Equity and Diversity and (b) MFA’s General Guidelines. Work must meet exhibition guidelines to be included in the event. MFA may determine work ineligible if entry guidelines are not followed. Work delivered must correspond with the image(s) submitted to the juror.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including, but not limited to: the invitation, catalog, website, social media, or a subsequent year’s prospectus. Images will include attribution wherever possible.
- Work cannot be withdrawn before the end of the event.
- Artwork will be handled with all possible care. MFA will not be responsible or liable for loss or damage from any cause whatsoever. Insurance, if desired, must be carried by the artist.
- Cash awards total $1,000
- All work must be entered by uploading JPEG images through MFA’s online entry system. Set pixel dimension to between 1,500 and 3,000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 5 MB.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
1 or 2 entries $40 ($25 for MFA Members). Additional 4 entries $5 each. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Images for the juror must correspond with the actual work.
- All entries must be original and completed solely by the artist’s hand. A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Digital photography and work created on Yupo paper are not eligible for this show.
- Work previously exhibited at MFA Circle Gallery is not eligible for re-entry.
- Maximum size of work, including edges of artwork or frame, cannot exceed 72″ in any direction. Artists may be asked to assist with the installation of oversized work (greater than 60″ or over 40 lbs.).
- Artists will retain 70% from sales (75% for MFA Members). MFA will retain 30% commission on any work sold through MFA (25% for MFA Members at the time of the sale).
- Work must be for sale. Work may be set to Price on Request (POR).
- Nov 15 Online Entry Opens for Submissions
- Jan 18 Entry Deadline
- Feb 15 Notification @ 5 PM
- Mar 22 – 26 Accepted and Shipped Work Must Arrive at MFA Circle Gallery
- Mar 29 Exhibition Opens
- Apr 2 Virtual Awards Ceremony from 4 – 5 PM via Zoom
- Apr 29 Last Day of the Exhibition; Closing Reception at MFA Circle Gallery from 4 – 6 PM
- Apr 30 – May 1 Pick-up Hand-Delivered Work from 11 AM – 4 PM
- May 4 Shipped Work Will Be Sent
NOTE: Should the exhibition space be closed for reasons beyond our control, MFA reserves the right to move a planned physical exhibit to our online gallery.
All artists will receive notification by email. Accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Artists who have unsubscribed from MFA’s emails will not receive notification.
The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and may vary from the prospectus.
Please set your email account to recognize email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.