Introducing Art on Paper
Maryland Federation of Art (MFA) invites all artists residing in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada, and Mexico to enter its 45th annual Art on Paper exhibition. Excluding digital photography, any original 2D or 3D work created on or of paper including but not limited to, collage, artist book, origami, printmaking, painting, sculpture, analog photography, and more, will be considered by the juror. Works selected will be on exhibit in MFA’s Circle Gallery from March 17 – April 9, 2022.
Juror: Daniel Shay, former Art Services Manager at the National Gallery of Art
Daniel Shay is a sculptor, painter and art educator who exhibits and judges in National and International venues. Visually fluent in styles from academic realism to progressive abstraction, he is the past president of the IASG (International Artist’s Support Group) and currently on the advisory board. In 2018 he celebrated his graduation (retirement) from the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC as Art Services Manager after 34 years. While there his department installed over 500 Special Exhibitions. He received a Smith Travel Fellowship to study the ‘Bamboo Art of the Montagnard”, native people of South East Asia, from the National Gallery. His first international lecture on his work was at the Pushkin State Museum in Moscow. A partial list of media recognition for his work is as follows: The Today Show, BBC, The Washington Post, People Magazine, The City Paper, The Charlotte Observer, the Korea Times and the East City Paper. For an artist, distant travel is one of life’s greatest teachers. While at the National Gallery of Art, Daniel has been able to sketch and study in detail many great collections of the world such as The Prado, Hermitage, Cairo Museum and down in the excavated pits of the terra cotta warriors in Xian. In the Summer of 2022 his etching will enter the collection of the National Museum of Georgia in Tbilisi. Learn more at danielbshay.com.
Terms of Entry
- Entry is open to artists residing in the United States, DC, Puerto Rico, Canada, and Mexico.
- Entering this exhibition indicates understanding and agreement on the part of the artist with the conditions stated here and at mdfedart.com/mfa-general-guidelines. Work must meet delivery and exhibition guidelines to be included in the event. Work delivered must correspond with images submitted to the juror. MFA may determine work ineligible if entry guidelines are not followed.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including, but not limited to: the invitation, catalog, website, social media, or a subsequent year’s prospectus. Images will include attribution wherever possible.
- Work cannot be withdrawn before the end of the event.
- Artwork will be handled with all possible care. MFA will not be responsible or liable for loss or damage from any cause whatsoever. Insurance, if desired, must be carried by the artist.
- Cash awards total $1,000
- All work must be entered by uploading JPEG images through MFA’s online entry system. Set pixel dimension to around 3,000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 5 MB.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- 1 or 2 entries $40 (MFA Members $25). Additional 4 entries $5 each. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Images for the juror must correspond with the actual work.
- All entries must be original and completed solely by the artist’s hand. A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Work previously exhibited at MFA Circle Gallery is not eligible for re-entry.
- Maximum size of work, including edges of artwork or frame, cannot exceed 72″ in any direction. Artists may be asked to assist with the installation of oversized work (greater than 60″ or over 40 lbs.).
- Artists will retain 70% from sales (75% for MFA Members). MFA will retain 30% commission (25% for MFA Members) on any work sold through MFA.
- Work must be for sale. Work may be set to Price on Request (POR).
- Dec 2 Online entry open for submissions
- Jan 19 Entry deadline
- Feb 15 Artists notified by email
- Mar 9 – 13 Work must arrive at MFA Circle Gallery
- Mar 17 First day of the exhibition
- Mar 20 Virtual awards presentation @ 4 PM
- Apr 9 Last day of the exhibition; Possible closing reception @ 4 PM
- Apr 10 – 11 Pick-up handed-delivered work, 11 AM – 4 PM
- Apr 13 Shipped work will be sent
NOTE: Should the exhibition space be closed for reasons beyond our control, MFA reserves the right to move a planned physical exhibit to our online gallery.
All artists will receive notification by email. Accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Artists who have unsubscribed from MFA’s emails will not receive notification.
The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and may vary from the prospectus.
Please set your email account to recognize firstname.lastname@example.org.