If you do not have an account with MFA, you will be asked to create one during the entry process. Already have an account, but need to update your information? Update Now!
Introducing Paint Annapolis
Paint Annapolis is a seven-day juried plein air painting competition held June 5 – 12, 2022, that brings artists from across North America and Europe to Annapolis and Anne Arundel County. For 21 years, Paint Annapolis has been a premier outdoor painting event, bringing together artists and patrons to paint a community where colonial architecture meets maritime heritage. Paint Annapolis 2022 is presented by Maryland Federation of Art (MFA), a 59-year-old non-profit organization committed to exhibiting new and innovative art created by living artists. MFA is based at Circle Gallery, 18 State Circle, across from the Maryland State House in historic downtown Annapolis.
Submission Juror: Mark Karnes, Professor at Maryland Institute College of Art
Mark Karnes received his MFA in painting from Yale University in 1972 and his BFA in painting from Philadelphia College of Art. He has received grants from the National Endowment for the Arts and the Maryland State Arts Council as well as a Fulbright-Hayes grant for study in Florence, Italy. His work has been widely exhibited both nationally and internationally and can be found in numerous private and museum collections, including the permanent collection of the National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C. Karnes lives in Baltimore, MD, where he has taught drawing and painting at Maryland Institute College of Art since 1974.
Terms of Entry
- Entry is open to all artists internationally. Please refer to the complete U.S. Foreign Policy Compliance Statement on our website.
- Entering this exhibition indicates understanding and agreement on the part of the artist with the conditions stated here and at mdfedart.com/mfa-general-guidelines. MFA may determine work ineligible if entry guidelines are not followed.
- Images of works made at Paint Annapolis may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including, but not limited to: the invitation, catalog, website, social media, or a subsequent year’s prospectus. Images will include attribution wherever possible.
- Thirty artists will be selected to participate in Paint Annapolis as juried artists, as well as ten alternates. If accepted, artists will be required to submit a short bio in the third person, and a headshot.
- All work must be entered by uploading JPEG images through MFA’s online entry system. Set pixel dimension to around 3,000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 5 MB.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- 1 – 3 entries; $50. Entry fees are non-refundable. Artists who enter and are not selected as juried artists may participate in Paint Annapolis 2022 as public artists at no additional entry fee.
- All entries must be original and completed solely by the artist’s hand. A maximum of 3 plein air works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Artists will retain 60% from sales. MFA will retain 40% commission on any work sold.
- Cash awards total $15,000
- Nov 15 Online Entry Opens for Submissions
- Jan 19 Entry deadline
- Feb 14 Notification
- Apr 1 Participation Confirmation
- Jun 5 – 12 Paint Annapolis 2022
Tentative Event Schedule
- Jun 5 Artist Check In
- Jun 5 Quick Draw
- Jun 7 Paint the Bay
- Jun 8 – 9 Dusk to Dawn – Nocturne Painting
- Jun 9 Art on the Avenue
- Jun 10 Awards Ceremony
- Jun 11 Public Reception
- Jun 12 Mimosas and Muffins
NOTE: Should the exhibition space be closed for reasons beyond our control, MFA reserves the right to move a planned physical exhibit to our online gallery.
All artists will receive notification by email. Accepted artists will also be posted on MFA’s website. Artists who have unsubscribed from MFA emails will not receive notification.
The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and may vary from the prospectus.
Please set your email account to recognize firstname.lastname@example.org.