Juror: Chanel Compton, Executive Director at the Banneker-Douglass Museum
Chanel Compton is an artist and the Executive Director of the Banneker-Douglass Museum in Annapolis, Maryland. She grew up in Bridgeport, CT and received her Bachelors of Fine Art from Rutgers University’s Mason Gross School of Arts. She works as an artist and lives by a strong belief that art is a vehicle to connect people. She has exhibited throughout the region, as well as internationally. In Sao Paulo, for example, she exhibited at the Museo Afro Brasil. Currently, she lives and creates art in Baltimore, Maryland.
*Award contributors and recipients will also be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Information for Accepted Artists
- May 24 Online entry open for submissions.
- Jul. 29 Deadline for entries.
- By Aug. 24 All artists notified by email. Check mdfedart.com or contact MFA if you do not receive notice.
- Sept. 15 – 19 Shipped work must arrive at MFA Circle Gallery. Please read the prospectus for more on how to ship your piece.
- Sept. 22 First day of exhibition.
- Oct. 3 Digital reception. More info will be posted about the reception as we get closer to the date.
- Oct. 16 Last day of exhibition.
- Oct. 17 – 18 Pick up handed-delivered work, 11 AM – 5 PM. There is a $10 fee for late pickup.
- By Oct. 20 Shipped work will be sent.
NOTE: Should Circle Gallery or any other exhibition space be closed for reasons beyond our control, MFA reserves the right to move a planned physical exhibit to our online gallery. Please mark your calendar for notification. This may include specific information that varies from the prospectus.
- All work delivered to the gallery must have the following information affixed to the non-viewing side of the artwork:
- Artist Name
- Address, phone number, and email
- Title of the work, medium, and price. Be specific with medium descriptions (e.g., oil on hardboard or canvas, not oil; chromogenic print or archival inkjet print, not photography or digital print; oil pastel on paper, not pastel; etc.)
- Work must arrive on scheduled dates.
- Paintings must be dry.
- Measure to ensure work meets size limitations before delivery, include outer edges of frames. Work not in compliance will not be exhibited. No exceptions.
- All shipped work must include a bar-coded shipping label. Do not send by United States Postal Service (USPS). We prefer UPS but accept FedEx. No shipping peanuts allowed.
- Please affix packing/repacking instructions to OUTSIDE of the shipping box.
- Tips on shipping can be viewed on the RedDotBlog
Pickup and Storage
- When the exhibit ends, unless specified otherwise, you may pick up your work no earlier than 3:00 PM on the closing day of the exhibit.
- Unless previous arrangements have been made, work placed in storage after announced pickup dates will be subject to a fine of $10 per piece, per week. Work left in storage longer than two (2) weeks shall become MFA property and may be disposed of, or used for fundraising purposes. There are no exceptions.
All work will be handled with all possible care, but pieces submitted for the exhibition are at the artist’s risk. In the event of damage or theft, MFA will not be held liable. If insurance is desired, the artist must carry it.
- All work entered into any exhibition must be for sale unless prior agreements are made, and marked either with a price or POR for Price On Request.
- Artist members will retain 75% from sales; non-member will retain 70%.
- The sale of artwork is taxable and all sales tax processing will be handled by MFA.
- Sold artwork requiring shipment will be handled by MFA with costs collected from the buyer. Buyers will be asked if the work may be retained until the exhibit ends. If the buyer disagrees, the Gallery will let the work go, and the artist will be informed.
- MFA asks that artists donate 20% from any sale made through a direct referral from MFA within three months. All donations are used to help defray operating costs of the Maryland Federation of Art and are tax-deductible by the artists to the full extent of the law.
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: email@example.com. Contact Circle Gallery if you do not receive notice.