Introducing Corporate Connections
MFA’s Corporate Connections program launches an opportunity for artists to connect with professional developers, designers and more at this gala one-day event at the Peterson Headquarters building at National Harbor in Maryland. Entry is open to established and new member artists of MFA (Maryland Federation of Art). Entries of original 2-D or 3-D work may be submitted for consideration by the juror. All images of selected works will be featured in a promotional catalog and also displayed on MFA’s online Curve Gallery from Oct. 15 – Dec. 1, 2020.
Juror: Robert W. Madden, National Geographic Magazine
As a staff photographer for National Geographic Magazine for over 15 years, Bob Madden produced the photographs for more than twenty stories and for several National Geographic books. Travels across all seven continents exposed him to an extraordinary diversity of cultures and customs, from the Yanomamo Native Americans in the jungles of Venezuela, to street life in Brooklyn, New York, to the ecology of the U.S. Chesapeake Bay, the area Bob calls home.
He has been immersed in photography from another perspective, serving as Director of Design at National Geographic Magazine and as picture editor for National Geographic Kids magazine and National Geographic Books. Bob has also designed trade books such as Madagascar A World Out of Time, by Allison Joly and Frans Lanting (Aperture), Japanese Gardens, by Mike Yamashita (Fulcrum) and Sam Abell A Photographic Life (Rizzoli).
Bob’s photographic experiences have equipped him to offer what he has learned to fellow photographers who subscribe to his international photo tours and to one-on-one instruction where he helps these students hone their photographic skills. His long list of awards and credits include Magazine Photographer of the Year (twice); College Photographer of the Year; and design awards from the Society of Publication Designers, The New York Art Directors Club, and Communication Arts.
Before COVID – 19, Bob traveled nine to ten months a year, both with and without students. His most recent work on Cuba can be found here and more info on Bob and his works can be found here. Facebook, Instagram and Twitter: RWMaddenphotog
NOTE: Should Circle Gallery or any other exhibitions space be closed for reasons beyond our control, MFA reserves the right to move a planned physical exhibit to our online gallery. Please mark your calendar for notification. This may include specific information that varies from the prospectus.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below. When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
Selection & Award
Juror will select 1 artwork by 50 artists from images to display online and in a promotional catalog. Up to 20 of the 50 artists will be awarded purchase prizes selected by a panel of corporate designers who will present these works at the Corporate Connections event. The 20 artists are invited to attend the opening event to discuss their work with potential clients. Selected artists attending the event may bring 3 additional pieces to sell.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $95 for one or two entries and an MFA Membership (MFA Members, $25); and $5 each for additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 5 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
- July 15 Online entry open for submissions
- Aug. 24 Deadline for entries
- By Sep. 8 All artists notified by email. Check mdfedart.com or contact MFA if you do not receive notice. Instructions for shipped and hand-delivered work will arrive with notification
- Oct. 29 Corporate Connection reception held at National Harbor Management Office, 6:30pm
- Nov. 3 Shipped work will be sent
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact Circle Gallery if you do not receive notice.