Introducing Black Art Matters
Black art is American art. Black issues are American issues. The Black Lives Matter protests have resulted in powerful artwork derived from passion, grief, persistence, and the pursuit of justice. MFA invites all Black artists to enter their original 2-D or 3-D art to this online all-hang exhibition. All eligible work will be exhibited in MFA’s online Curve Gallery from August 5th to September 12th, 2020.
Juror: Thomas James, former MFA Exhibitions Director and current Curator at the Creative Alliance in Baltimore, MD.
NOTE: Should Circle Gallery or any other exhibitions space be closed for reasons beyond our control, MFA reserves the right to move a planned physical exhibit to our online gallery. Please mark your calendar for notification. This may include specific information that varies from the prospectus.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below. When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 2 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show in Curve Gallery are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
Three artists will receive a People’s Choice vote award and three artists will receive a Juror’s Choice award. All six artists will receive a $70 one-year MFA membership. The Juror’s Choice Awards will be designated by Thomas James, former MFA Exhibitions Director and current Currator at the Creative Alliance in Baltimore, MD.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $20 for one or two entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 5 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
July 9 Online entry open for submissions.
Aug. 9 Deadline for entries (extended from Aug. 3).
Aug. 4 Online gallery opens for viewing.
Aug. 10 – Sep. 2 Public and artist voting for People’s Choice Award.
Sep. 3 Announcement of People’s Choice and Juror’s Choice Awards.
Sep. 12 Last day of exhibition.
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: email@example.com. Contact Circle Gallery if you do not receive notice.