Introducing Elemental: Earth, Fire, Water, Air
Early chemists believed these were the elements of life and reality, and when surrounded by them, it’s not hard to see why. Pieces that involve any of the four elements in any way, by medium or subject, will be eligible for this inaugural online show. Entries are open to all original 2-D or 3-D artwork. MFA will display selected works in their online Curve Gallery from October 15 through November 30, 2020. Show Chairs: Richard Niewerth and Wil Scott.
Juror: Yikui (Coy) Gu, Associate Professor of Studio Art at the College of Southern Maryland
Yikui (Coy) Gu, born in 1983 in Nantong, China, emigrated to the United States at the age of seven, and grew up in Albany, NY. He has a BFA from Long Island University and an MFA from the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. He has exhibited his work nationally in New York, Miami, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., Boston, and St. Louis; and internationally in London, Berlin, and Siena, Italy. He has been an, artist in residence at the School of Visual Arts in New York, and has been reviewed in the Washington Post, KunstForum International, the Philadelphia Inquirer, and the Yale Daily News. His work has appeared on the cover of the Lower East Side Review, and in Fresh Paint and Art Maze. His work is held in the permanent collections of the Brooklyn Art Library (NYC), the Siena Art Institute (Siena, Italy), Camden County College (Blackwood, NJ), and numerous private collections. He resides in Philadelphia and teaches as Associate Professor of Studio Art at the College of Southern Maryland. In his time off he enjoys traveling, good Belgian beers, and keeping up to date as a sneakerhead. The bulk of his time, however, is spent in the studio where he is currently plotting his takeover of the international art world, while remaining mostly harmless.
NOTE: Should Circle Gallery or any other exhibitions space be closed for reasons beyond our control, MFA reserves the right to move a planned physical exhibit to our online gallery. Please mark your calendar for notification. This may include specific information that varies from the prospectus.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below. When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show in Curve Gallery are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
Cash awards total $500.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $35 (MFA Members, $20) for one or two entries and $5 each for additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 5 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
July 9 Online entry open for submissions.
Sep. 10 Deadline for entries.
By Oct. 6 All artists notified by email. Check mdfedart.com or contact MFA if you do not receive notice.
Oct. 15 First day of exhibition
Nov. 30 Last day of exhibition.
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: email@example.com. Contact Circle Gallery if you do not receive notice.