Kathleen Janet Gibson, No Answer, oil, from Strokes of Genius 2019
Introducing Strokes of Genius
Maryland Federation of Art (MFA) invites all artists residing in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico to enter this 10th annual all-painting competition. All original 2-D work created through any painting media (inc. oil, pastel, acrylic, watercolor, encaustic, etc.) and following entry guidelines, will be considered.
Juror: Mark Karnes, The Maryland Institute College of Art
Mark Karnes received his MFA in painting from Yale University in 1972 and his BFA in painting from Philadelphia College of Art. He has received grants from the National Endowment for the Arts and the Maryland State Arts Council as well as a Fulbright-Hayes grant for study in Florence, Italy. His work has been widely exhibited both nationally and internationally and can be found in numerous private and public museum collections, including the permanent collection of the National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C. Karnes lives in Baltimore, MD, where he has taught drawing and painting at Maryland Institute College of Art since 1974. For more information go to http://www.markekarnes.com
NOTE: Should Circle Gallery or any other exhibitions space be closed for reasons beyond our control, MFA reserves the right to move a planned physical exhibit to our online gallery. Please mark your calendar for notification. This may include specific information that varies from the prospectus.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below. When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show at Circle Gallery are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
Cash awards total $1,000.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $40 (MFA Members, $25) for one or two entries and $5 each for additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 5 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
June 18 Online entry open for submissions.
Sep. 3 Deadline for entries.
By Oct. 5 All artists notified by email. Check mdfedart.com or contact MFA if you do not receive notice.
Oct. 18 – 23 Shipped work must arrive at MFA Circle Gallery. Please read the prospectus for more on how to ship your piece.
Oct. 30 First day of exhibition
Nov. 8 Digital reception. More info on when and where as we get closer to the date.
Nov. 25 Last day of exhibition.
Nov. 28 – 29 Pick up handed-delivered work, 11am – 5pm. There is a $10 fee for late pick up.
By Dec. 1 Shipped work will be sent
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: email@example.com. Contact Circle Gallery if you do not receive notice.