Donna Ward Lehman, Farm No. 1, Green Tractor, Strokes of Genius 2017
Introducing Strokes of Genius:
Maryland Federation of Art (MFA) invites all artists residing in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico to enter its 7th annual all-painting competition. All original 2-D work created through any painting media (inc. oil, pastel, acrylic, watercolor, encaustic, etc.) and following entry guidelines, will be considered. The selected works will be on exhibit at MFA’s Circle Gallery from November 2 through November 26. Exhibition Chair: Stacey Sass.
Juror: Joey P. Mánlapaz, Corcoran School of the Arts and Design
Joey P. Mánlapaz recieved her M.F.A. in painting from George Washington University. She is a painter and Associate Faculty at the Corcoran School of the Arts and Design at George Washington University where she teaches all levels of drawing and painting. She is a lecturer at Georgetown University and also teaches at The Art League School in Alexandria, VA. Her latest passion is to give art workshops and lectures to the elderly at several D.C. assisted living and memory care facilities. She is widely collected in the U.S. and abroad. Breaking from the photorealist tradition of NY artists Tom Blackwell and Richard Estes, her style is more painterly, infused with the psychological breadth of Edward Hopper, coupled with the visual mystery of Alfred Hitchcock. The D.C. government currently owns 23 of her paintings, by far the largest collector of her work. In 2013, the U.S. Library of Congress acquired her personal papers, correspondences, sketchbooks & other memorabilia for permanent inclusion in the Asian American Pacific Islander Collection.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below.
When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show at Circle Gallery are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
- All work must be visibly signed by artist (front or back) and include edition numbers (1/1, 2/50, e.g.) for hand-pulled prints. Works must be priced for sale or marked POR (price on request).
Cash awards total $1000. Award contributors and recipients will be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $40 (MFA members, $25) for one or two entries and $5 each for up to four additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 2 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
June 21 Online entry open for submissions
September 6 Deadline for entries
October 4 All entrants are notified by email and online posting
October 20-24 Shipped and hand-delivered work must arrive at Circle Gallery, 18 State Circle, Annapolis, MD 21401
November 2 First day of the exhibition
November 11 3-5pm reception. Awards presented at 4 pm.
November 27-28 12-4pm pick up
November 29 Shipped work will be sent
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: email@example.com. Contact gallery if you do not receive notice.