Geri Olson,The Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship, Strokes of Genius 2018
Considering Entering? Deadline is September 5
Introducing Strokes of Genius:
Maryland Federation of Art (MFA) invites all artists residing in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico to enter this 9th annual all-painting competition. All original 2-D work created through any painting media (inc. oil, pastel, acrylic, watercolor, encaustic, etc.) and following entry guidelines, will be considered.
Juror: Raoul Middleman,The Maryland Institute College of Art
Raoul Middleman has a BA in Philosophy from Johns Hopkins University, and has attended the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Skowhegan Summer School and The Brooklyn Museum Art School with Full Scholarship. He has been teaching Painting and Drawing at The Maryland Institute College of Art since 1961. His murals of the different aspects of horseracing, done with his class at The Maryland Institute, are on permanent display at The Pimlico Racetrack in Baltimorem Maryland. He was President of the National Academy of Design, NY from 1998 to 2001. Raoul is represented by Kouros Gallery, NYC, and C. Grimaldis Gallery, Baltimore. He has also shown his work at The Allan Stone Gallery, The Ice Gallery, MB Modern Gallery in New York and The Roger Lapelle Gallery in Philadelphia among others. He has painted landscapes in oils, watercolors and pastels in numerous locations in Europe and the United States. The Katzen Gallery of American University has recently featured his paintings of Narratives, Portraits, and Cityscapes, entitled City Limits. For more information: https://www.raoulmiddleman.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below.
When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show at Circle Gallery are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
- All work must be visibly signed by artist (front or back) and include edition numbers (1/1, 2/50, e.g.) for hand-pulled prints. Works must be priced for sale or marked POR (price on request).
Cash awards designated by the juror total $1000. Award contributors and recipients will be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $40 (MFA members, $25) for one or two entries and $5 each for up to four additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 2 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
June 26 Online entry open for submissions
September 5 Deadline for entries
October 4 All entrants are notified by email and online posting
October 20-25 Shipped and hand-delivered work must arrive at Circle Gallery, 18 State Circle, Annapolis, MD 21401
November 1 First day of the exhibition
November 10 3-5pm reception. Awards presented at 4 pm.
November 30- Dec 1 12-4pm pick-up
Dember 3 Shipped work will be sent
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: email@example.com. Contact gallery if you do not receive notice.