- May 6 Sign up open for student artists.
- Jun 5, 9 AM – 12 PM Dueling Brushes will take place at the Susan B. Campbell Park at City Dock. Awards will be announced at 1 PM. Stamping for Dueling Brushes ONLY will be at Circle Gallery from 7 – 8:30 AM. Stamping for the rest of the week (excluding the nocturne) will begin at 12:30 PM at City Dock and at 1:30 PM at Circle Gallery.
- Jun 6 – 9 Stamping will be every day at the Pop Up Gallery from 10 AM – 4 PM. Artists may paint in designated areas any time on these days.
- Jun 8, 6 PM Workshop with Joanna Bigelow on “Techniques for a Nocturne.”
- Jun 8 – 9, dusk to dawn Nocturne painting will take place during Dinner Under the Stars – from dusk on Wednesday to dawn on Thursday. Artists must use the designated nocturne boundary map. Painters will need to have their canvases stamped with the special nocturne stamp before painting that night. Nocturne stamping will begin Wednesday at 10 AM at the Pop Up Gallery.
- Jun 9, 4 – 6 PM Art on the Avenue will see Maryland Avenue closed to traffic and open to the artists for painting, sales, and jurying.
- Jun 11, 9 AM – 12 PM Work drop off for the Student Painters will be at the Paint Annapolis Pop Up Gallery from 9 AM – 12 PM. No late work will be accepted.
- Jun 11 @10 AM Paint Annapolis Exhibition begins. The Pop Up Gallery will be open from 10 AM – 5 PM everyday.
- Jun 11, 4 PM – 6 PM Public Reception at the Pop Up Gallery.
- Jun 11, 5 PM Awards Ceremony at the Pop Up Gallery.
- Jun 15 Closing Reception at the Pop Up Gallery from 6 – 8 PM.
- Jun 16 – 18 Pick up of unsold work at the Pop Up Gallery
Recommended Supplies for Plein Air Painting
- Medium of choice as well as a canvas, panel, or paper to work on, preferably in standard sizes. Joanna suggests bringing several of each or paper to practice on just in case.
- A water bottle to stay hydrated and for water to wet brushes.
- Paint pallet (for acrylic, you can use a paper or plastic plate. For oil, use a plastic or wooden palette. Palette paper is fine for either medium. Strongly recommend a grey or neutral-colored surface. White surfaces in the sun can make it hard to mix the correct value).
- Gamsol or odorless Terpenoid for oil paints.
- A trash bag, paper towels or rags, and a water cup for your brushes.
- Some kind of head covering, sunscreen, and clothes you don’t mind getting paint on or a smock shirt.
- If you have access to one, bring an easel.
Where to Get Painting Supplies and Frames
Stressing about what kinds of oil paints to get? Don’t know where to get stretched canvases? For professional framing like the pros, head to West Annapolis Artworks & Fine Framing. If you’re looking for a frame on the fly, Michaels is a great last-minute choice with standard sizes for frames and mats.
Rules for Artwork
- It is required that all artwork have a Paint Annapolis 2022 registration stamp visible and accessible to be exhibited. Stamping will occur at the Paint Annapolis Pop Up Gallery (4 Church Circle, Annapolis, MD 21401). Panels, paper, and canvases should be blank before being stamped.
- Acceptable mediums are pastel, watercolor, acrylic, or oil paint. Artists will need to supply their own painting supplies.
- All artwork must be painted en Plein Air, or outside, without the use of photographs.
- All artwork submitted for exhibition, awards, and/or sales must be framed, wired, and ready to hang.
- Students may paint as many pieces as they want but only two (2) pieces plus a Nocturne will hang for jurying in MFA’s Pop Up gallery. The pieces hung in the Pop Up Gallery will be the ones juried for awards.
- Artwork may not exceed 32 inches in any direction. Mat and frame are included in the size measurement.
- Work submitted for exhibition and awards will hang in the Paint Annapolis Pop Up Gallery through June 15.
- Artists must pick up their unsold artwork between June 16 – 18. Work not picked up within 90 days becomes the property of MFA.
- Paintings submitted for exhibition must be available for sale.
- Artists receive 60% of the purchase price for any work sold throughout Paint Annapolis.
- Only MFA personnel may complete a sale.
- By participating in Paint Annapolis, artists agree not to conduct sales or presales of their paintings outside the commission structure. Commission proceeds for all sales support current and future Paint Annapolis events and help MFA achieve our mission of supporting artists at all points of their careers through exhibition and professional development opportunities.
- MFA will keep artists updated on whether their piece sells during the exhibition.