We Hope You Will Join Us for Paint Annapolis 2022
We’re welcoming artists of all abilities to compete for $2,500 in prizes while painting this charming nautical town. Join us for just one or all five days of painting and be eligible for the Paint Annapolis exhibition. With local and global recognition, Paint Annapolis is a growing artist’s chance to exhibit alongside the Plein Air pros. Read on to see the schedule and rules for this Plein Air festival.
- It is required that all artwork have a Paint Annapolis 2022 registration stamp visible and accessible to be exhibited. Stamping will occur at the Paint Annapolis Pop Up Gallery (4 Church Circle, Annapolis, MD 21401). Panels, paper, and canvases must be blank before being stamped.
- All artwork must be painted en plein air during the week of Paint Annapolis within the designated painting boundaries, without the use of photographs.
- All artwork submitted for exhibition, awards, and/or sales must be framed, wired, and ready to hang. NO EXCEPTIONS. Artwork that is not ready for hanging will not be displayed. Artwork, including mat and frame, may not exceed 32 inches in any direction.
- Artists may paint as many pieces as they want, but only two (2) pieces painted during the week and one (1) nocturne may be submitted for the Paint Annapolis Pop Up Gallery.
- All works submitted for exhibition must be painted en plein air during Paint Annapolis 2021 and within the areas designated. Artwork without a visible Paint Annapolis stamp will not be hung.
- Artists may submit two (2) pieces painted during the week and one (1) nocturne painted during the designated nocturne time for the Paint Annapolis Exhibition. The pieces hung in the Pop Up Gallery will be the ones juried for awards.
- Artwork to be submitted for exhibition must be dropped off at the Pop Up Gallery no later than Friday, June 10 at 12 PM (noon). No late work will be accepted.
- Artwork created during Paint Annapolis may be exhibited in the Paint Annapolis online gallery. Artists may upload their two (2) pieces and one (1) nocturne that they would like juried for awards online using a special link MFA staff will send the week of the event. It is the artist’s responsibility to post their work by June 10 at 12 PM.
- Work submitted for exhibition and awards will hang in the Paint Annapolis Pop Up Gallery from June 10 – 15.
- Artists must pick up their unsold artwork between June 16 – 18. Artists who have not collected their work by June 19 will be charged a $30 late fee. Work not picked up within 90 days becomes the property of MFA.
- Paintings submitted for exhibition must be available for sale.
- Artists receive 60% of the purchase price for any work sold throughout Paint Annapolis.
- Only MFA personnel may complete a sale.
- By participating in Paint Annapolis, artists agree not to conduct sales or presales of their paintings outside the commission structure. Commission proceeds for all sales support current and future Paint Annapolis events and help MFA achieve our mission to create meaningful connections in the community through art.
- MFA will notify artists if their piece sells during the exhibition.
- All work will be handled with all possible care. However, pieces submitted for exhibition are at the artist’s risk. In the event of damage or theft, MFA will not be held liable. If insurance is desired, the artist must carry it.
- Apr 22 – Jun 4 Sign up is open for Public Painters.
- Jun 5, 9 AM – 12 PM Dueling Brushes will take place at the Susan B. Campbell Park at City Dock. Awards will be announced at 1 PM. Stamping for Dueling Brushes ONLY will be at Circle Gallery from 7 – 8:30 AM. Stamping for the rest of the week (excluding the nocturne) will begin at 12:30 PM at City Dock and at 1:30 PM at Circle Gallery.
- Jun 6 – 9 Stamping will be every day at the Pop Up Gallery from 10 AM – 4 PM. Artists may paint in designated areas any time on these days.
- Jun 8 – 9, dusk to dawn Nocturne painting will take place during Dinner Under the Stars – from dusk on Wednesday to dawn on Thursday. Artists must use the designated nocturne boundary map. Painters will need to have their canvases stamped with the special nocturne stamp before painting that night. Nocturne stamping will begin Wednesday at 10 AM at the Pop Up Gallery.
- Jun 9, 4 – 6 PM Art on the Avenue will see Maryland Avenue closed to traffic and open to the artists for painting, sales, and jurying.
- Jun 10, 9 AM – 12 PM Work drop off for the Public Painters will be at the Paint Annapolis Pop Up Gallery from 9 AM – 12 PM. No late work will be accepted.
- Jun 11 @10 AM Paint Annapolis Exhibition begins. The Pop Up Gallery will be open from 10 AM – 5 PM everyday.
- Jun 11, 5 PM – 7 PM Public Reception at the Pop Up Gallery.
- Jun 11, @ 6 PM Awards Ceremony at the Pop Up Gallery.
- Jun 15 Closing Reception at the Pop Up Gallery from 6 – 8 PM.
- Jun 16 – 18 Pick up of unsold work at the Pop Up Gallery