Maggy Aston, Clathrus, mixed media
Introducing Strokes of Genius:
Maryland Federation of Art (MFA) invites all artists residing in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico to enter its 7th annual all-painting competition. All original 2-D work created through any painting media (inc. oil, pastel, acrylic, watercolor, encaustic, etc.) and following entry guidelines, will be considered. The selected works will be on exhibit at MFA’s Circle Gallery from October 27 to November 25, 2017. Exhibition Chair: Stacey Sass
Susan Behrends Frank, Ph.D., Curator, The Phillips Collection, Washington, DC.
Terms of Entry
All entries must adhere to MFA general guidelines as well as the terms of entry specific to the exhibit as listed below.
When entering the exhibition you will be asked to accept the Terms of Entry. Any entry that does not follow Terms of Entry and General Guidelines will be subject to rejection regardless of the Juror’s decision.
- A maximum of 6 original works created within the past 3 years may be entered.
- Works previously exhibited in a juried show at Circle Gallery are not eligible.
- Works may not exceed 72 inches in width, height or depth, including the frame, unless otherwise specified for a particular exhibit.
- All work must be visibly signed by artist (front or back) and include edition numbers (1/1, 2/50, e.g.) for hand-pulled prints. Works must be priced for sale or marked POR (price on request).
Cash awards total $1000. Award contributors and recipients will be listed in the exhibition catalog.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Entry fees are $35 (MFA members, $20) for one or two entries and $5 each for up to four additional entries. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- To enter online, you will need an MFA account that includes an email address and a password. There is no charge to create an MFA account.
- Submit one JPEG image per piece entered, or as allowed. To provide the best image for juror set pixel dimension to around 2000 pixels on the longest side. File size may be no more than 2 MB.
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of MFA for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
July 5 Online entry open for submissions.
Sept. 5 Deadline for entries.
By Sept. 21 All entrants are notified by email and online posting. It is important to check website if you do not receive notice.
Oct. 17-23 Shipped and hand-delivered work must arrive at Circle Gallery, 18 State Circle, Annapolis, MD 21401
Oct. 27 11- 5pm. First day of exhibition.
Nov. 5 3-5pm reception. Awards presented at 4pm.
Nov. 26, 27 Pick up. There is a $10 fine imposed for late picked up.
By Nov. 28 Shipped work will be sent.
All entrants will receive notice by email. The notice to accepted artists will include specific details and could vary from prospectus. A list of accepted artists and artwork will also be posted on MFA’s website. Please set your email account to recognize this address: email@example.com. Contact gallery if you do not receive notice.